Wednesday, June 23, 2010

fixing and adjusting

It's been a few days of fixing and readjusting. One painting came back from a gallery with minor damage to a corner, so I restored this to it's former glory.

Lily and fruit on red cloth (after repair) Size: 18X36

I also took the opportunity to adjust the another painting that had been hanging for a number of months in the gallery.

BEFORE - tall Iris in green jug Size: 42.5X24

As an artist I try not to revisit works, especially if they're varnished and out the door; but this one (to me) just felt a little too colorful. I realized I wanted to tone it back a little, so I took the time to remove varnish and adjust to something that made me happier...

AFTER - tall Iris in green jug Size: 42.5X24

DETAIL - Showing irregular texture in the paintings ground, (heavy impasto brush strokes and sand)

...However, since I was adjusting that piece, I thought I may as well alter another.

BEFORE - Peonies in purple vase with Lemons Size: 24X36

I really liked this painting but had felt perhaps I had painted a background that was a little too strong. If I chose a more subtle backdrop color it would really make the Peonies flowers flourish. So again I stripped away the varnish and then made this singular background change.

AFTER - Peonies in purple vase with Lemons Size: 24X36

...So I'm done adjusting, and have some other new works nearing completion.

2 comments:

  1. I can see were your coming from by taking the colour back. It gives them a more regal look and is easier on the eye.I`ve done this before and its a constant dilema . But , for me when I see your colour my eyes light up and that sensation lifts me. Having said that..There really good pictures even when the colour is taken back and your the boss.Great work! Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purely personal opinion here, Angus, but I always love your use of color, so my preference is for the original version of the first painting. You really did justice to the second painting by changing the background. The peonies advance beautifully now.

    ReplyDelete